Sunday, February 10, 2008

Running with Scissors- Augusten Burroughs

Ugh, this book was just UGH. I read this author's book after reading his brother's memoir on living with asperger's and figured good writing surely must be in the family. I had high hopes for this book considering this book was a well selling one, and a movie was even made.... but its truly an awful book. I'm listening to it on "books on CD" so perhaps my opinion is skewed. Let me explain, I normally like the readers on "books on cD" but this time its the author, and the author is TERRIBLE at reading his own story. He pauses at the wrong time, he tries to mimic the characters but forgets the voices he used to mimic... Its just cringe worthy. So maybe the story would be more endurable if someone other than the author had read it for the listening readers.

The author's irritating style of delivery aside, the book was flat and superficial. Unlike his brother's book, this author does not do any reflection whatsoever. It just describes, maybe the shock value of the crazy things that happen should be enough to keep interest, but because the craziness is not blended with any growth or self reflection its pretty much meaningless to me.

No comments: