Sunday, April 06, 2008

Espresso Tales- Alexander McCall

Espresso Tales is the sequel to 44 Scotland Street. Initially I had checked out Espresso Tales before reading 44 Scotland Street and I found myself lost with the characters and the storylines and thus backtracked and read the original of the series.

If you are looking for a slow paced book with good writing I strongly suggest you check out this series though its quite important to begin with the first in the series to truly enjoy the storylines.

I liked Espresso Tales equally as much as 44 Scotland Street but for different reasons, I felt as though 44 Scotland Street built up the characters to make me care about them particularly the five year old boy Bertie who is being raised by an overbearing mother. I also enjoyed the mini mystery of 44 Scotland Street and the case of the missing portrait.

Espresso Tales does a bit more self reflection with some parts that really tugged at my heart such as "joy without sharing is a halved emotion just as sorrow without sharing is doubly painful" So true!

I liked the story, some parts I had to skip over such as Raeborn's memoir which I felt was neither here nor there (maybe I missed something). I also found Peter's nudist colony thing slightly pointless but maybe I'm not sure, maybe I'm missing something.

No comments: