Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kindred- Butler [Book #4]

This is a science fiction book about slavery and time-travel. Yes, really. Dana travels back and forth through time when summoned by her great-grandfather Rufus, a white slaveowner's son to save his life. Each time he is near peril she is swept back into the era of slavery and each time she falls into peril there she is swept back to her life in the current contemporary world she lives in with her white husband. I found this to be a very jarring novel detailing what happened in the time of slavery, a topic I haven't really thought about since high school and for that I very much appreciated it. There were definitely things I didn't like about the novel such as character motivations, etc, but overall this is a great book that makes you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found this novel sitting in a box in my mother's closet (random, I know), and is on my to-read list. What could be more randomly intriguing than slavery and time travel? I never even thought there was such a genre as African-American science fiction. Sounds pretty cool, if you ask me.