Friday, January 09, 2009

Persepolis 2- Satrapi (Book #5)

Persepolis 1 was incredible and so I was glad I checked out the second part as well so I did not have to wait too long for the sequel. The sequel is good, but it pales in comparison to the original. This is the story of Marjane now older and begins with her in Austria. She is alone and a foreigner and struggles through adolescence with no one to console her. This novel was a lot darker and I liked Marjane a whole lot less. Despite that, I am impressed with her candor and how she tells the truth even when she must know how others will judge her. She is unapologetic. So if I am to base this on me trying to learn the truth of Iran and of this particular girl, then its wonderful, but if I am to base it on what I think of what she chose in her life, then its pretty depressing and in some ways unforgivable. However, that being said, though I disagree with her choices, I still think she has the right to make them (well, all but one involving the boy on the steps). If you read the first, you should certainly read the second.

No comments: