Saturday, February 24, 2007

The End, by Lemony Snicket

This is the conclusion to the "Series of Unfortunate Event" saga. I feel duped. Royally duped. I read the first 12 as the drama built and I couldn't wait for book 13. And it just stank like a dead fish.

****Warning: Spoilers follow*****

I understand that everything would not be wrapped up nicely in a bow with this story. It is after all, a miserable story of children met with obstacles and tragedy every step of their way. But absolutely nothing was resolved. The sugarbowl that we followed for three books? Nothing. The twins that were kidnapped? Nothing. Most of the mysteries that we followed through and salivated for were left open. I guess the Olaf stuff was dealt with and you sort of empathise with the villain. You understand a bit more about the parents of the siblings. But not much more. And the only thing David Handler could tell us is that you can't tie things up in a bow because life does not work like that. Yes, David you can't tie things up in a bow because life does not work like that but this is a fictional fantastical story and you are a writer and you owe your readers some conclusion. I think he may be planning sequels to the saga to explain some of these mysteries but I for one won't be contributing to any more of his sales. I'd hate to encourage this sort of irresponsible storytelling.

No comments: