Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Spiral Staircase, by: Karen Armstrong

What an incredible breathtaking book. She writes honestly and eloquently on her life after leaving the convent. She talks about battling depression, an undiagnosed epilepsy that everyone maddeningly insisted was all in her head, working for a doctorate degree with disastorous results, and trying to find herself in a world that had changed drastically while she had remained in convent life. It's not necessarily what happens to her but how she writes it, how she reflects upon it, and how she learns from it.

At least for me she echoed many of the fears and pain that I myself have experienced in life. For example, there is a point where she attends a get together after leaving the convent and as she stands there in the lights and watches the dancing and drinking she says For a second, I felt a pang of envy, I would have loved to be able to do that, to be so wild uninhibited and free. These students were living fully and intensely in a way that I could not.. It must be a marvelous feeling. But it has never been possible. At a very impressionable age, my body was schooled in quite other rhythms, and it has for better or worse, taken the print. I had found to my considerable sorrow that even though I no longer belonged in the convent, I did not belong out here either. In her completely different experience I could find and relate to her feelings of being the odd one out, wanting desperately to fit in, and knowing it would never be possible.

She is a gifted historian and explains how she came to be a writer on religious history, but her prose and descriptive talents are also brilliant. I hope one day she writes fiction, I know she would write well.

No comments: