Saturday, February 24, 2007

Kite Runner, by Khalid Husseini

I hestitated buying this book. And then I stuck it in on the bookshelf and would try to avoid eye contact with it as I walked by. I knew I wanted to read it, but I knew it would be a tough and emotional read and I was afraid. I am so grateful that I ended up picking it up and reading it. It starts of slightly slow but it picks up its pace through the first half of the story. I loved his character descriptons. I could see Ali and his wife and young child. I could see the father of the potaganist so clearly that the images months later are still fresh in my mind. I think that made the book. I also appreciated the insight they provided to life in Afghanistan before the times of the troubles. It is good for the public to know that Afghanistan had modernity and colleges, etc. once upon a time. They are a victim of their geographic location, and their political problems. The people who suffer are the innocents. The book is an interesting perspective on the lives of the people of Afghanistan both living there, and the refugees as well.

There is a scene **warning spoiler to follow* where the protagnoist returns to Afghanistan after many years and as he eats at the home of a villager he sees the children staring fixed at what he thinks is his watch. He removes it and gives it to them as a gift. They seem polite about this gift yet uninterested. It is only later he learns that the host in an effort to be gracious fed them all the food they had for the entire family and the children were staring at the food from pangs of hunger and not at his watch. It was a powerful point in the book for me about perspective.

I loved this book and I consider it one of my favorite books of all time.

No comments: